Thursday, April 29, 2010
Today’s Meal Plan:
- Breakfast: Bob’s Red GF Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Blueberries
- Snack: Vegan Protein Shake with Maca and greens
- Lunch: Pinto Bean and Millet Salad (beans and grain are cooked, all veggies are raw)
- Snack: Go Raw “Pizza” Flax Snax YUMMO!
- Dinner: Salad
Mostly raw, I would say 60/40.
Spent two hours last night researching recipes. I found some great blogs and sites so I thought I would share them here:
- Have Cake, Will Travel
- Jennifer Cornbleet (she is the chef/trainer I took the FUNdamentals of Raw Foods with a few years ago).
- Lifestyle Food
- 101 Cookbooks
- Recipe Zaar (my aunt turned me on to this one, thank you!)
- Phoo-D (which is not vegan or gluten-free, but still a great place for recipes
- Smitten Kitchen (again not vegan or gluten-free but worth searching, YUM!
- and of course, Karma Chow!
- Elana’s Pantry
- UnReFiNeD (thanks to a blog comment, yay!)
It was fun, I bookmarked a lot!
I have learned that Farro is not gluten-free so I am going to try some of those recipes that I marked with other grains. I will keep searching for new gluten free grains that will work in these other recipes. The millet last night and today was good, but it is a much smaller grain.
Also, via Whole Foods I found more great millet recipes that I cannot wait to try like Tomato, Basil, and Millet Salad, Warm Millet Salad with Brussels Sprouts, Creamed Mushrooms, and Sage (which will need to be veganized with cashews instead of cream), and Curried Stuffed Peppers. Super psyched since I like this grain as much as quinoa!
I am working on planning dinner for my mom and dad (and hubby) for mother’s day! I am super psyched about cooking and I want to try to incorporate as many vegan dishes in as possible! I found a gluten-free, sugar-free coconut cake recipe, as coconut cake is my mom’s favorite! Hello opening coconuts again!
The cake is made with coconut flour and is a white cake. I will have to use egg substitute for the 6 eggs. The frosting is coconut milk, agave, coconut oil, and arrowroot powder. I will toast some coconut for the tops, too. I really hope it is as delicious as it sounds and that she likes it. It will be a treat to make something I can eat and wow everyone else with how delicious it is.
Also, one of her favorite meals is a roasted red pepper pasta with a tomato-balsamic, cream sauce with lemon-cream chicken breasts. I know I can get the pasta vegan, and I am going to make the yummy kale-fennel salad, so I will have enough to eat already, then I think I will still make the chicken (from a CSA, free-range) for them and try to health it up a little (substitutions for creme fraiche and heavy cream). I have to figure out what I need… so it looks like I will be doing some vegan-izing to my own recipes, and that sounds exciting!
My evening didn’t go as planned, I went to acupuncture (which is working great, IMHO) and then helped out a friend for a while. While she was over I made the Kale and Fennel salad. YUM!
About Acupuncture. We are working on removing energy blocks in my body so that my body can process “dampness” correctly. I am taking Chinese herbs in combination with a weekly acupuncture appointment.
Here is what I have noticed after the combination of my cleans and now 3 visits:
- less sinus issues, even on a blowy windy day like yesterday I had NO congestion
- less joint pain issues (my knees are doing great and I am OFF the Celebrex. YAY!
- new aches in my old arm injury during treatment. The only pins that hurt during the acupuncture are in my left forearm and hand. In 2005 this arm was broken in 8 places and it took surgery with a plate and 12 screws to put it back together again. It works great, but it aches during and for about an hour after acupuncture. The acupuncturist (Sue) told me that this is the blockage being removed and that the energy is being released from being trapped there. That is a good sign!
I am enthusiastic to see how things progress! I will definitely need treatments pre and post flight to Barcelona, my sinuses hate to fly. That will be telling, though, if this stuff works! I go again on 5/8.
Today was a VERY good day!